Saturday, December 08, 2007

What to do with 18 year olds!

Lately I have been thinking about what I will do when my children turn 18 or thereabouts. The reason I am thinking of this is 1. I am a planner, 2. I have always looked ahead (way ahead obviously), 3. Women are revealing their struggles to me with their own 18yrs old, 4. My son is over 14 so it is coming up. Mostly the struggle and anxiety occurs when the child does not go down the right path. But I wonder, is it the path we as parents want them to go down, or do we consider that there might be another path that of course, God knows. When the kid is failing a class, is it always bad? When she is moody and doesn't want to talk or is always out, does it rub us the wrong way? When he drifts from God and church, what is God doing (or to our thinking, not doing)? Is God not answering our prayers or are we just missing the answer? Can we trust Him? This is our kid! Or is he really ours? Can we love, trust and rest in God in all this? Can we love the kid through the rough spots? These are questions I ask myself and other women that our coming to me. We wish God would shout down the answer, but He is. He whispers, "I am enough". A current song on the radio lately thrills me every time I hear it. It's main phrase is:
"Your grace is enough for me". I just wonder, do I really believe that? Do you?

No comments: