Friday, August 22, 2008

Wild Goose Chase and How Small I am

I've been participating as a book reviewing blogger for Mulitnomah publishing.  The book I'm currently reading is Mark Batterson's Wild Goose Chase.  I heard Mark speak at the Whiteboard sessions and he talked about how our thoughts are so small compared to God's thoughts.  

In the Wild Goose Chase, he relates a story about Theodore Roosevelt.

"When Teddy Roosevelt was president, he and naturalist friend William Beebe would routinely go outside after dinner and look up at the night sky.  They would locate a faint spot of light in the lower left-hand corner of Pegasus and recite the following:
This is the Spiral Galaxy in Andromeda.
It is as large as our Milky Way.
It is one of 100 million galaxies.
It is 750,000 light-years away.
It consists of 100 billion suns, each larger than our sun.

Roosevelt would pause and grin.  Then he would say to his friend, "Now I think we feel small enough!  Let's go to bed."

Isaiah 55:9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, 
       so are my ways higher than your ways 
       and my thoughts than your thoughts."


No comments: