Thursday, January 08, 2009

Married to a Renaissance Man and other news

Our dear friend, Colby, is extremely gifted at being positive and encouraging others. Recently, he called my husband, Dave, a Renaissance Man. Well, even though he wasn't quite sure what that meant or entailed, Dave has been on cloud 9 ever since and has referred to himself as a Renaissance Man. So, I just looked it up in the dictionary since I wasn't explaining it very well to him:
A present day man who has acquired profound knowledge or proficiency in more than one field or a variety of fields. 

I would agree with Colby that this is true of my husband. He seems to have grown in all areas of his life  such as marriage, parenting, computers, home repair, maintenance and decorating, reading and studying, advanced degrees and classes and conferences, relationships with others, communication, and more that I am sure I am missing. So, I agree, I am married to a Renaissance man. What does that make me then? A bit of a tall order to live up to.

School: starts Monday-I have almost read the psychopathology book which has been tedious, I must stay.

Heat Pump: we have acquired 3 estimates on our heat pump, but I like only one. Of course it is the most expensive one because it offers more products and services. The owner is so knowledgeable and passionate about heating and cooling which I so appreciated (as opposed to the other 2). So not everyone has to go to conventional college/jobs. Everyone needs heat and air (humidity in winter, filters, etc). So we hope to fix it within the month-I can't wait as I am freezing and now have another cold.

Old movies: I was able to watch and record on DVD almost 40 year old movie reels of my brother and I and our family. I have about 67 minutes from 1967-1972. Such good times for my parents who are know gone and Jon and I were so darn cute! It made me cry to see my parents so young and happy. But they are ecstatic now in heaven.

Stamped cement: Since we may refinance our home, we are trying to figure out what the house needs (see heat pump). The other thing is the almost gravel driveway that bottoms out the cars when we go out. I am getting estimates for that today too. Such joy to maintain a house!

Book: I read the famous book: To Kill a Mockingbird. I can't believe I hadn't read it before. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. While it's main theme is continued prejudice and segregation of blacks in the south, I really enjoyed the hero, Atticus, who is so full of compassion, integrity and courage. He is also a great single parent in the book (wife had died) and I even got a few parenting tips. The movie is harder to watch I heard (there is abuse and some violence in the story), so not for kids.


2 comments:

Pelt Family said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books, I read it about every other year.

keilan said...

I agree. Mr. Dave is very much so a Renaissance Man. :)