Monday, September 15, 2008

Races, times, school, kids, birthdays, LIFE

Races:
I did the Brian Tap Room 5k race on Sunday. It was bloody hot even at 0800 but I ran it in 28.42 minutes (I am usually in about the 50 percentile which is good for me). I still made it back to teach SS and sing in choir and have a women's retreat meeting! I met a lady there who was still running races into her 80's but now she walks them! I hope I am like her if I live that long. I met a couple of friends there my age which is fun-we encourage one another. 

I plan to do the Turkey Trot in Fredericksburg on Thanksgiving day and drag some friends and my kids too (5k for adults and 1 miler for kids).

Then Dec. 14th is a half-marathon or a 5k. I am toying with the half-marathon even if I walk but will at least do one of them.

So all kinds of goals for me.

Triathlon: Dave and I signed up for it as a team on October 12th. I am worried about my part especially the swimming. I get so out of breath! I will just do my best. At least I don't have to worry about transitions for my first one.

Saunas: I have been using the Sauna at the club because I heard it was good for me to ditch toxins (which is all I had to hear).  I only go in for 3-5minutes as recommended (176 degrees limits it). It will be fabulous in the winter!

School: Almost done with my paper on my cultural background. I learned a lot-like how I really am privileged as a white but that I can work on being more culturally cognizant. After this I will be half-way done.

Birthdays: Sunday, Sept 14th was Dave's B-day. We celebrated by going to Outback (delicious except they just stopped the sweet potato side dish unfortunately) and of course, Carl's for dessert! Dave got a chance to work on his dining room project which although a chore, I think her also enjoys it-a chance to be creative but he can refute this if I am wrong. Anyway, it is turning out beautifully.

David II: his birthday is Sept. 25th-he wants another Patriots' Jersey, this time travel one. He magnanimously gave his small older one to Jonny. He will be 15.

Jonny: birthday is October 11th-we are going to the field house to play dodge ball with his friends on the 18th. Should be fun. He will be 11.

Arianna: birthday is October 25th-we will just have tons of girls over and have games, prizes, food, cake, and lots of giggles.

Then in November-December, all of Dave's family (and I mean all) have birthdays, so this is our season for birthdays, in addition to holidays, school, activities,etc. BUSY for us.

My musings: I have been wondering if some of the good things that I practice have become too important. Let me explain. I am a stickler for keeping one's word which is all right and good except I notice that I get really angry at others when I perceive that they are not keeping their word which often comes out as forgetting, not having time,etc. The anger has set up a red flag for me. Perhaps I should just worry about keeping my own word and let others be convicted themselves? Any comments? Dave I am sure, would appreciate some reprieve from me.

Signing off for now-still have a weekly assignment to do for school
Nancy

No comments: