Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thoughts, kids, biking

Arianna: Arianna took PALS tests today and read words on a 6th grade level-smarty pants. 

Personal biking record: Today I biked 15miles. Pretty soon I'll be able to do a biking vacation!

Culture: Last night I was doing homework and had to watch a video of an interview between one of my professors and a Japanese student. I was so struck by some of the things the student said that were different from our culture. He said that Japanese people are very reserved and more quiet. They do not speak much and when they do, they use few words. They think before they speak (imagine that) and are very concerned for how the other person or persons will take what they say-will they be offended, hurt, or even bothered? They think of themselves in more of a group identity as opposed to individualistic like we are here in the West. I was very convicted about his words especially since I think the Bible may have more to say in his defense than ours. (Slow to speak, slow to anger, quick to listen, think of others as better than yourselves are a few that come to mind).

Jonny wrote a great paper entitled "All about Me". In one part he wrote, "My favorite food is NOODLES! You can't go wrong with those! The rest of the paper was just as amusing. He really has a great sense of humor.


1 comment:

Annie B. said...

cute! miss you guys...i'm proud of you, nanc...