Thursday, September 20, 2007

Silence before God

I dislike the beginning of a new class. I just started my new course on Monday of this week and they hit you with all your assignments and what you should learn. 8 discussion boards with responses, 2 tests, 2 journal article summaries, ethics code analysis paper, research paper, tons of reading "and a partridge in a pear tree"! I just keep telling myself that God wants me to do this and will enable me to do it. The break was good and bad at the same time-good for the rest but bad because I got out of my groove. I am praying to get back in the groove.

I have been reading Zephaniah lately. I have been convicted about a couple of verses:

Zephaniah 1:7 Be silent before the Lord God. For the day of the Lord is near, for the Lord has prepared a sacrifice, He has consecrated His guests" I have been convicted about practicing the spiritual disciplines of prayer, bible study and meditation, and solitude. I need to practice more silence and waiting before the Lord. He knows what He is doing and I often do not! So why do I plan and talk so much? The day of the Lord refers to Jesus' return which for us will be glorious. So I will wait, be silent, and trust God.

Zephaniah 1:12 (The day of the Lord) It will come about at that time that I (God) will search Jerusalem with lamps and I will punish men who are stagnant in spirit, who say in their hearts,"the Lord will not do good or evil". vs 13 Moreover, their wealth will become plunder and their houses desolate, yes they will build houses but not inhabit them, and plant vineyards, but not drink their wine..."

Amos 6:1 Woe to those who are at ease in Zion (America), to those who feel secure in the mountains of Samaria..."

I question myself, am I stagnant in spirit? Am I so concerned about the creation and not the Creator? Am I preoccupying myself with the temporal things here on earth? Am I so proud that I think I am making things come to pass and that God is not do anything but just sitting somewhere up there looking on? May I always look to God and never be at ease and secure with the things and people here on earth.

No comments: