Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The heat pump is dying

I have known this for a while-over 2 years now that our heat pump is dying. I knew this because 1. it was 10 years old in 2006 and most heat pumps die after 10 years so I am told (which is very sad) and 2. it has a leak in it which causes the air conditioner to freeze up in the summer and the heat to refuse to work (making the house 50-60) in the winter and needs transfusions of freon periodically. So now, our trusty heat pump guy, Kurt Lewis is coming out again (has been here only a year ago) on Christmas Eve,God bless him, to let us know the prognosis. Oh joy, we will pay him $200, then figure out how much longer the heat pump has, then research buying a quality new one if there is such a thing. So, I have heard good reviews on Train (I think that is how one spells it), and Carrier. Anyone else for wisdom and help in this matter? In the meantime, I am freezing.
Nancy

3 comments:

Pelt Family said...

Franklin Potbelly Stove, :)

Kevin said...

i just replaced my entire heating and cooling system with Carrier units. i researched both Train and Carrier and Carrier is up-to-date on all the latest specifications, including the use of Puron vs. Freon. Freon is being phased out as the coolant of choice because it's thought to cause ozone depletion and will eventually be banned by the EPA. Carrier has been building units using Puron since 1996, whereas Train is still perfecting their Puron based pumps and air conditioners and their units are generally more expensive. Hope that helps.

garmancj@comcast.net said...

spelled TRANE...my Dad has worked for them for the past 35 years. Needless to say, I am a fan.