Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Acitivities

Biking:

I am always trying to get a bunch of exercise and I am also concerned for my family especially my husband and 2 of my children who prefer almost anything to exercise. So I said lets bike down in Fredericksburg after we pick strawberries (by the way, do something with all the strawberries as soon as you get home-I make the mistake of not doing this every year!) on Saturday. So we stopped at Fall Hill Ave at the beginning of the Canal path and got going minus Arianna who was camping with friends. First, my tire was rubbing against the bike frame, but I just dealt. Then David's chain fell off. Finally, I was racing Elizabeth and her pedal came off. Dave had to return to the van and get wrenches and tighten the pedal. Does anyone realize how hard it is to maintain 6 bikes especially when they are not used a lot? Finally, we were able to keep on pedaling without any more stops and made it to Old Town Frederickburg and biked down Princess Anne St and back up Caroline (although not after Dave was cursed out and given an obscene gesture for being in the road and slowing some rude dude down) and then back down the Canal Path (about 5 or so miles). Then we went out to eat that night.

Eating:

This is becoming a real struggle for me. I guess I am eating too much and eating the wrong things. On Saturday we went to Maggiano's for "family style" (oh great-all you can eat of all the dishes they put on the table). I tried not to eat too much but with 10 different dishes it was so difficult. In any case, I woke up the next morning at 5am with severe stomach pain and told myself I had better get a grip with no exceptions! Of course a compassionate friend who shall remain nameless let me know he had lost 5 lbs this week by cutting down-good for you! Pray for me then!

Friends:

Sunday we went to friends house for the afternoon after church whom we had not hung with in a while. I ate tons of fresh vegies (God bless them for serving healthy) and had fish and chicken. I did have ice cream and sherbert, but felt a lot better. We had a great time with them. My friend's brother reminded me of a counselor. He was constantly paraphrasing, reflecting, and asking open-ended questions. I was impressed and really felt like he was listening and interested in what we were saying. Good model for us all, but especially for me with counseling.

Our other young friend was in the hospital-had been there 10 days so back down to Fredericksburg we went to visit him and then of course, I got the bright idea to get more exercise by doing the scavenger hunt or at least walking in Old Town. The scavenger hunt is a bit annoying to me, but I decided to let it go and not try to fill it all in. (This is a big step for me as I hate blanks and not finishing things). We saw Colby and Annie and the girls down town (biking of course-they are my inspiration). Needless to say when we returned from Fredericksbur, David went right to bed and Jonny went to a friend's to sleep over and Dave, Elizabeth and I watched National Treasure: Book of Secrets. What a great movie!

More biking:

Today we biked 9-10 miles and I got dirty looks from the kids. The other pedal fell off Elizabeth's bike and she thought we were going to leave her. Poor E. Of course we didn't and came back for her (we had been a bit ahead). The kids and Dave went swimming and I was in my bliss gardening. This blessed lady at church gave me about 30+ plants FREE (many just seedlings but still) and so I planted and watered them all. We are also keeping critters away from the garden with hair, pinwheels (or whirlygigs as some call them) and something else not worthy of blogging. Even if only a few of these plants live I will be ahead-some are perenials! I love being cheap-it is so rewarding sometimes especially if it works.

More friends:

We went to our dear friends' daughter's 2 year old birthday. I played kickball. Can't tell you the last time I did that, but I am having a lot of firsts in awhile since turning 40 (skiing, school, Carnegie Hall in NYC, etc). I had not been to Aquia Landing-what a nice park on the River and the weather was perfect. Good friends, good food, and celbrating-Wonderful.

Bugs:

Skin So Soft does not work for bugs. I was covered with them. Maybe it helped me not get bit, but it seemed to attract every nat in the area. I must come up with natural bug repellent and sunscreen. Not interested in the chemicals.

I do not think we have a free day between now and when we go away June 17th. (Friday the 13th is open, any takers? I guess we are not superstitious!) Trying to wrap up the school year and activities and finally get away!

Running:

Dave, Nancy and David II are planning to run the 5-miler in Fredericksburg on July 4th. I believe the Garmans are going to also (of course-they, as I said, are my inspiration) so I am hoping this will get us motivated to eat right or at least less, exercise more, and improve our overall health. There is a half marathon in September and of course the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. I hope we do all three and any others we can fit in. I find these things fun and motivating. We also biked to all my children's schools today so next time I have to go to one of them, I think I will get exercise, save gas and bike. Wait until that new hospital gets going!

That's all for now.
Nancy

1 comment:

beckers said...

hello Fauth clan!! just wanted to say helllo!!! i was thinkin of you this morning ms. nancy cause i was listening to our eater thing and so i just wanted to drop in on your blogg and say hello!
love you all!! liz, how is drama going?? please update me deary!