Thursday, November 27, 2008

running

We just finished running, so we're all quite tired.  I just crashed, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and we're watching "In the Heights".  The running was very enjoyable and full of memories.  Here's my experience. 
We arrived a half an hour early and got ourselves ready to run.  Soon we were freezing and had to stay inside until the race started.  David and I decided to run together, so we found our way to the middle.  Out of no where the gun fired and people started cheering.  We started running, weaving in and out of people, but David was going to fast for me, so I ditched him.  After a while I was breathing with full force.  A lady asked me if I had asthma, but I just shook my head.  Then another lady told me to cover my mouth and keep it warm.  I was coming up to the water station and walked while I drank it up.  By then I was extremely tired, but "kept on keepin' on".  One of the same ladies, I think, then told me to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth.  I rounded the corner while Jonny passed me, and saw Dad and Arianna walking to the water station.  I was more than halfway there!!!  I was running barely, not able to go faster, but then the same lady told me I could do it and I knew I could.  My stomach was cramping and I needed food or I would throw up, but I could do it.  I was running the final stretch slowly and saw the finish line.  It must have been from God, but somehow I found the energy to run swiftly to the end, even with my numb legs.  It was like floating.  I finished in less than 28 min. 32 sec.  All in all it was nice and refreshing.  After the race we weren't cold at all.
A few things I learned:
1. Encouragement and tips are helpful during a race.
2. Bathing afterward is relaxing.
3. Running makes you sick, so only do what you know you can do.
4. Don't arrive to early.
5. Eat enough before, but not to much.
6. coming back is faster than going.
7. Give encouragement, it really helps.

-Elizabeth

No comments: