Monday, November 17, 2008

Taking back the blog

Before my daughter, Elizabeth, takes over the blog, I thought I (Nancy) had better write. Besides, she has facebook. 

Colorado was beautiful.  We saw lots of elk (males get to be 2,000 lbs).   It was the end of mating season so they were locking horns over the females (surprise, surprise).  I did get very dry and some nose bleeding related to the altitude and lack of humidity, but no headaches or nausea which are other symptoms of altitude sickness. The only thing that would have made the trip better was possibly going in the spring or summer when it was warmer and having more time.  (We had a long trip home on Friday and reunited with the kids who stayed with friends for 4 days and 3 nights.) 

School: I registered for psychopathology and got my books - I hope I don't have to memorize the DSM IV which is probably over 1,000 pages, small print.  There's another textbook as well.  I had better get cracking.  The next course has over 7 books as well.

Jonny - I requested a child study in the school and must call the counseling center tomorrow.

Biking in Holland: on the plane I was reading an article about the amazing biking opportunities in Holland-makes me want to go:
Holland has 16 million people and 13 million bikes!
They use bikes for almost 1/3 of all their local trips while the US uses bikes for <1%.
The 1st bike rental was in 1869.
Their bicycle garages hold 5-18,000 bikes!
Groningen spent $52 million on bike infrastucture.
Holland has over 300 miles of bike lanes. It is so safe that they do not wear helmets.
You think they might be thinner and healthier? Are we missing something you think?
I hope I get to go there even for a vacation and bike my little heart away.

Books: I read an old English novel called Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskill. What a good book. The heroine in it was so good-selfless, generous, servant, sacrificial, kind, gentle, submissive-she inspired me to be a better person. See this is why fiction can be the same or better than non-fiction sometimes.
I also read The Danger of Raising Nice Kids on parenting. Encouraged me to disciple my kids instead of worrying about disciplining them all the time. I just told Jonny I love him no matter what he does even when I am mad. His reply, "I didn't clog the toilet!" The kid is funny.

Dining room: the dining is pretty much done-need to put up decorations and touch up paint. It is beautiful-Dave really outdid himself.

Toilets: We are replacing 2 of our 4 toilets due to clogging issues. God bless my brother for putting them in the day before Thanksgiving. Hopefully the new ones will not clog-that would be an answer to prayer.

Thanksgiving: Dave's sister and family, and my brother are coming for a few days around Thanksgiving. Then we will have our brother-in-law's sister's family here too. My brother plans to cook it all for the big day and even get a fresh local turkey. He loves to cook and I don't so this is a real treat. 

No comments: