Friday, February 29, 2008

Miscellaneous

Nancy says:

Correction:

The Irish movie recommended by Andrew Peterson that we saw having to do with musicians was called Once (not Alone). The main song on it was actually on the Academy Awards performed by the couple in the movie. Apparently they are more popular than I thought. She is only 17yrs old from Czech. He is Irish. Excellent movie-bad language in the beginning.

I have my big long paper to do this coming week and then I am done with another course! Finished the annoying test tonight. I decided I would rather write long papers. My next course much to my nervousness, is on statistical research. Math-yikes. Dave, help me.

Clogged toilets: Does anyone get as many clogged toilets as we do? They are almost clogging on a daily basis. I informed the kids that I was no longer going to de-clog them and also, instructed them all on the proper flushing technique to possibly avoid this problem (needless to say they giggled throughout). One does not want to call a plumber only to hear him say, "Well don't put so much in there. That will be $100." Any wisdom I am open. (I only wish my toilets were as open).

A new song on the Christian radio station I believe by Stephen Curtis Chapman called "Cinderella". It is about his daughter growing up and the different times of practicing dancing with daddy in preparation for some event-prom, wedding. He dances with her, all the time remembering that by midnight, she will be gone. I burst into tears. One daughter in 6th , one in 1st. Not too long and they will all be gone. (Yes, go ahead and say it. I am a sap!) I can't believe I am saying this when I vowed I wouldn't. When my kids were babies and I just wanted them to grow up and now they are quickly on their way. Everyone told me to enjoy them while they were little. Now I get it. Well, I have time to enjoy them still. We have instituted family night each week and other special times and trips, and so I am glad. We are watching all the Home Improvement episodes.

This is for Annie and anyone else who gets confused about how to spell my son's and my brother's name. Both of their names are Jonathan and if shortened are spelled: Jon or Jonny. No H.

Speaking of Jonny, I had a bit of a breakthrough with him the other day. He has been struggling in school not because he is stupid, but seems to have lack of motivation. For example, he still does not know his multiplication tables and I have gotten very frustrated over them for the last year or so. I asked him what is wrong and he said they were too hard. I told him lots of things were hard in life. " I am afraid I will never get it-especially the 8's", he said. He is afraid of failing, of not getting what he is supposed to get, of not being who he is supposed to be, or who people (esp. us) think he should be. Oh boy, I wonder where he got that from and now I wonder what to do? I told him he could do it and would get it eventually and that we would just work until he got it. So confusing to be a parent. I felt like a counselor already!

Happy Leap Day!

1 comment:

Annie B. said...

I have an idea to help Jonny with his tables...I taught it at EVS 4 years ago! ask me about it...