Friday, February 22, 2008

Teach us to number our days

Psalm 90:12 - Teach us to number our days...
Psalm 103:15 - As for man, his day's are like grass...

This past Wednesday, I had to drop off our car to get the oil changed. We had delayed and forgotten to do it earlier in the week, so after youth group, Nancy took the kids home and I went to Eddie's repaire on Courthouse road.

As I pulled in to Eddies, I looked across the street and saw a car upside down against a pole and about five guys around it. I got out and ran over to see what was going on. I yelled to see if anyone had called 911 as I could hear screaming and shouting. I anticipated either someone strapped in their seatbelt and waiting to get out or someone covered in a bunch of blood. As I looked in, all I could see was a part of an arm trapped under the car. Nearby was an 8 year old boy screaming for his mom, asking if he was hurt and bleeding. Over and over he kept asking the same question.

There was nothing we could do. Within a few minutes, fire and rescue arrived and took over. I went back across the street and dropped my keys in the drop box and waited for Nancy to pick me up.

As I have been processing this over the last two days, I'm reminded to pray more for the fire and rescue people in Stafford who deal with this on a frequent basis. We talk about it in church regularly but this drives it home.

I'm still thinking about "teach us to number our days...". It is a short time here on this earth. God, teach me more and teach me to value the truly valuable things.

No comments: