Monday, March 19, 2007

Friendship and the church

Our pastor yesterday asked us what was the purpose of the church. There were various answers, mine being one of them, which I thought were correct. But then he said,"The purpose of the church is to exemplify Christ-afterall, we are called christians and are using His Name"
This really struck me. I can't believe I never heard of that or thought of it before. It is so simple, and all the other purposes we gave flow from that-evangelizing, fellowshipping, learning the word, worshipping,etc. Now I know my purpose much better.

I have just finished the book The Lost Virtue of Happiness by JP Moreland and Klaus Issler.
It was very good. I paricularly like the session on prayer: Pray what they call the Jesus' prayer "Lord have mercy on me" many times a day to keep your focus on Jesus, pray other memorized scripture throughout the day, and take 7-10x/day where you go off for 2-3minutes on your knees and pray. This would really get me going. Now to remember to do it and have the discipline to do it.

Also, his desccription of what closest friendships can look like:
(For extra challenge, find where all these are in the Bible)

Accept one another
Admonish one another
Do what leads to peace and building up of one another
Carry each other's burdens
Have equal concern for each other
Confess your sins to each other
Be devoted to one another
Encourage one another
Bear with one another
Forgive one another
Greet one another with affection
Don't grumble against each other
Honor one another
Offer hospitality to one another
Clothe yourself with humility toward one another
Be kind and compassionate with one another
Do not lie to each other
Be patient and forbearing with one another
Live in peace with one another
Pray for each other
Live in harmony and be of the same mind toward one another
Serve one another in love
Do not slander one another
Speak to one another in psalms, humns, spiritual songs
Speak truth to one another
Spur one another on toward love and good deeds
Submit to one another
Teach one another
Wait for one another

This is quite a list and quite a challenge but I want to be this kind of friend. It takes time with each other though and I am finding that most people do not make the time. They are too busy. It is too bad b/c then they will say they have no friends and are not even close to their husbands. Are we taking the time and effort?

I am in the midst of carb withdrawal! It is not too bad so far but it hasn't even been 24hrs.

No comments: