Sunday, March 18, 2007

Honduras trip pictures finally

For those of you who don't know this, I went on my first mission trip on November 23rd (Thanksgiving Day) until December 3rd. We went to a small island in the Bay Islands off the coast of Honduras. We met a group there who were with Alternative Missions. You could probably google them and find out what they are about. It took us forever to get there (long layovers in the airports, 4 planes, one boat) but here in this 1st picture is what the island of Guanaja is like:very wet and we were in rainy season, poor sewage, dogs everywhere ( I am not a stray dog fan )and horses roaming. No one picked up after them if you get my drift.

Unfortunately, I got sick for over 24hrs but after that I was able to minister medically as you see in this picture. It was a bit scary and very different from my nursing in the states as I had to play "doctor" by assessing patients, figuring out what was wrong with them, and treating them with appropriate medicine (providing we had it) all in spanish or with a translator (here I have Sylvia translating, God bless her) in 90-100degrees! Hence the hair was always up! I was so glad it was long enough. We did medical clinics for 5 full days and I mean full-100's of people-mostly women and children for free. I really wished I knew more spanish but that comes so slowly for me. I really enjoyed the missionaries down there-2 men and 2 women - and admired their dedication and selflessness. I also enjoyed getting to know these people-helping them, treating them, praying with them, talking with them, we even washed some of their feet. I do not enjoy roughing it (dislike camping) but I roughed it here b/c of its higher purpose and I made it through!







Posted by Picasa

No comments: